Baby, it’s hot outside!
No. Allow me to amend that because “hot” doesn’t even begin to describe it. I think the words “sweltering,” “oppressive” and maybe even “scorching” all come close.
But they still fall short of being truly descriptive of the heat we’ve had to endure this summer. We are in the middle of a bona-fide heat wave, folks! And, nobody – regardless of where they live – appears to be immune from it.
So, how do you stay stylish while beating back the heat? Here are five summer style tips for you to consider:
- Simplify your accessories: Statement pieces are not your friend during this time of year. So, bypass the chunky necklaces and wrist cuffs. Depending on the type of material they’re made of, heat can get trapped and make it even more uncomfortable if you’re outside for longer periods.
- Go sleeveless: Sleeveless shirts are perfectly acceptable in just about any situation, even in an office environment. However, if you’re not a fan of this look, you have options that could include tops with cap sleeves or one with a touch of detail or tasteful embellishment to increase the polish factor.
- Lighten things up: Perspiration is inevitable, but you can minimize the chances of having stains show through clothing by choosing lighter hues like white, tan and grey and fabrics such as cotton and linen that breathe.
- Choose a cardigan over a jacket: A simple cardigan is a great alternative to a jacket. Although they tend to be more casual and lightweight, they still offer a structured look that is similar to the standard jacket.
- Wear a dress: When in doubt, reach for your favorite wrap or shirtdress, both of which tend to be flattering on most body types. A nice fuss-free material like jersey will make getting dressed in the morning a no-brainer.
Do you have any other summer style tips you’d like to share? Tell me all about it in the comments below.