You’ve got a lot on your plate right now. Don’t we all! But, here’s the great news: You can start using these three easy and effective strategies today to help you get and then keep your stress under control going forward:
Spot the SIGNS
Catch the things that are stressing you out early by carefully watching for:
- Stressors: A person, place, or situation that causes you to feel anxious.
- Your response to stressors: The thoughts, physical sensations, behaviors and urges you have when you encounter your stressor. Some response examples include:
- Feeling defenseless
- Questioning whether or not you’re good enough
- Overthinking things
- Elevated heart rate
- Body twitches
Recognize your OPPORTUNITIES
Identify chances to practice redirecting your emotions by:
- Assessing your triggers: Words, activities and behaviors that cause you to feel stressed.
- Doing some honest self-reflection – Take time to get to know yourself. Know your strengths and weaknesses. This can be done through a personal SWOT analysis
Plan a healthy, realistic stress management solution by:
- Applying a bit of perspective: In addition getting to know yourself, get to know others, practice active listening, and ask questions to get more information before jumping to a conclusion.
- Putting yourself in the shoes of others: If you’re stressed, it makes sense that others might be experiencing it too. Give yourself and others a bit of grace.
Think of a situation that made you feel really stressed out. Now, create your own personalized SOS plan using the strategies above.